DCD's Annual Dutch Oven Cook-Off
This is a Dutch Oven cooking contest. All entries must be cooked in a Dutch Oven.
- Any den, unit, patrol, crew, team or post can enter (so yes, units can have multiple "teams" participating)
- Please register your team by contacting: Megan McPhail / firstname.lastname@example.org 972-841-6212 call or text
- You may enter in just one or two or all three categories (Appetizer, Entrée, Dessert)
- Everything must be assembled and heated onsite
- YES! You may chop, slice, dice and brown meats prior to the event – however the SCOUTS must be the ones chopping, slicing, dicing and browning meats - Scouts Honor
- You may start as early as 5:30 but each entry must be ready for judging at the following times:
- Appetizer Time: 6:45 pm
- Entrée Time: 7:00 pm
- Dessert Time: 7:30 pm
Judges will consider the following:
- TASTE :) duhhh
- Cleanliness of kitchen area and following of food handling safety rules (found in the Cooking Merit Badge Book)
- Note - if you are seen not following food safety rules, you will be disqualified - nooffense, we all have to work on Friday...
- Presentation - does it look yummy - and yes, yummy is a technical term
- much fun you had doing it! Bring your cheerful unit spirit with you!
What you will need to bring with you:
- Pop up (if desired)
- Lantern (we will have light but please be prepared)
- Dixie cups or small plates for judges and samples (anticipate for 50 samples)
- Spoons for sampling
- Dutch ovens, pots/pans, utensils (Basically everything you need to cook)
- Cleaning supplies
- ** Charcoal to contribute. We will provide the first round of charcoal.
There will be hot coals by 6pm.
Why YES! While the big prizes will be reserved for the youth, there will be a little recognition for the best Adult Dutch Oven Dishes.